Monday, November 26, 2007

Temple Trip


We've had some fun adventures lately. On November 17th we had our quarterly "Temple Trip". We drive to Columbia, SC to the temple. We usually have a good trip, considering all factors--an 8 hour round trip with 8 people in one day. It really is worth the effort and memories!

We try to leave at 7:30 AM--if that is the target goal, then we are usually on the road by 8:00 AM. The first hour is spend with everyone whining about where they are sitting and why they don't get the best seat. We are rapidly outgrowing our van. There is not much spare space for anything--especially Eliza's two pillows, extra clothes, snow hat (just in case), and blanket. After everyone has settled down a bit, they realize that they are hungry--and the food I packed for our lunch, suddenly becomes brunch--because in the rush to get out the door, no one really got a good breakfast. The second hour is a little better, because now we are out of the winding mountain roads and they can watch a movie without getting sick. Of course, there is the usual "heated discussion" about what the kids are going to watch and whose turn it is to pick. (The whole idea of letting them watch a movie is supposed to keep them from fighting, but it usually just starts a new one!) Now we are at the end of the third hour when everyone could use a stretch and a bathroon break, but David has his eye on the goal and is not swayed. I pass out more of the lunch and try to keep everyone content. Now we have about half an hour to get there and that is just enough time for me to repent of all the bad feelings and "crustiness" that I've had on the way down, afterall, I am going to the temple.

We arrived at the temple just before 12:00 and I attended the first session--David had the kids and took them to Wendy's for lunch--I guess we had pretty much eaten most of what I brought for lunch and the carrots and celery sticks weren't doing it for them. David went in at 2:00 with the youth to do baptisms and I took the kids to the park to play. They dug in the sand most of the time and then we went to meet David. The trip home was nice. We stopped on the way home to get something to eat. Denny's was the choice. As we were walking in, (this is where we experience the many blessings of temple attendance) Parker and Eliza notice a sign that says "Kids eat FREE" on Saturdays! YAHOO!! (We used to stop at O'Charleys after the ward temple trips, they had the same offer, but they have since changed their policy--hopefully, it will be a while before Denny's catches on). We ordered omlettes, pancakes, sausage, french toast, grilled cheese, and some dino-shaped chicken nuggets. We really scored on that deal. The meal tasted great and we were all fat and sassy for the ride home. The drive was nice--at least as far as I could tell--I slept most of the way--so I guess it was GREAT!

We had a good time together. It really has been a fun tradition. We've really tried to make it fun for the kids, so that they have good memories about temple trips. Of course, their memories will be movies in the car, lots of junk food, playing with their friends at the park, and going out to eat!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I love your description of a road trip with 6 kids. You guys need to get an old yeller van and throw all the kids in the back with pillows and blankets, just like the old days......That is so awesome about the blessings at Denny's!

Lorie said...

We went through a "Denny's Jag" in Denver!! Richard got really sick of it-- plus the kids not being "fit for public" while we were there but it IS a great deal!! Way to go!

Debbie said...

Oh yeah, Tyler has the same shirt/onesie as Peter, except its the basketball version. Good ol' Walmart!