Sunday, April 27, 2008

Parley Adventures

The big kids are at school and the babies are both asleep, so I’ve got a few minutes. (I’m just in between loads of “red clay” laundry and the house and yard that need some attention). I just wanted to record some of my feelings from our “Pratt Adventures”. We’ve had a great couple of weeks.

Last weekend April 9-12, 2008 we drove up to Kirtland, OH for a Parley P. Pratt reunion and tour. It was amazing. I feel like many others went to years of work and effort and we slipped in the back door to experience the "fruits of their labors". It was very uplifting and a testimony builder for me. We toured several sites where Parley had preached the gospel, run from a bulldog, places where he lived, and rivers where he baptized people. I wish that I would have been able to focus a little more—I don’t remember all of the details, as we had all of our kids with us, but I do remember the wonderful feelings and amazing strength of the early Saints. The best part was our evening in the Kirtland Temple. Our group about 20 adults, plus our kids and 4 others, were given a tour and also spent a few hours singing several Parley hymns, listening to talks and feeling the spirit. We read D & C 110 together where Jesus Christ, Moses, Elias, and Elijah appear in the Kirtland Temple. It was an amazing experience. It was worth every effort. Our children did enjoy the trip too and their memories of these events I’ve sure will be a lot different than mine, but they are now connected in a more real way to Parley P. Pratt.

The following weekend April 17-23, we drove to Alma, Arkansas where Parley was murdered. The family excavated his gravesite, in hopes of finding his remains. They were fulfilling his dying wish to be buried with his family in Salt Lake City. That was also a great experience. There were no physical remains found of Parley, but it was certainly worth the effort. They dug where he was buried and it brought a feeling of peace as they dedicated his gravesite. I’ll write more latter, but this a poem that I wrote, from the experiences of those two trips. We've sure put the miles on the van and will have a huge gas bill this month, but it beats walking like those who trails we followed did.

We Found Him
There were no remains, there was not too much found,
But we made a connection and to Parley we’re bound.

The red clay claimed Parley who once had lain here,
But we found many friends who where faithful and dear.
In the courtroom Parley and Eleanor stood true,
As Judge Ogden released them, his love for them grew.

We did not find Parley in Smith’s white linen,
But immersing the converts in icy Chagrin.
We found him running from Stu-Buy, a big ‘ol bulldog,
And reading the Bible in a hut made of log.

No pine box or walnut, a gift from Steward, a friend,
But we found P. Pratt testifying up ‘til the end.
From Shakers, abroad, and with George Higginson—
A firm dying witness was shared with Z. Wynn.

We searched the Fine Plot and his body was gone—
On his last mission, he’s still living beyond.
Friends and kin came to Arkansas, both young and old
With pedigrees and memories of Parley they told.

Yes, we found Parley and to him we are bound.
There were no remains, but so much was found.

4 comments:

Circe said...

That is a beautiful poem, and perfect sentiment for finding what you were looking for. It made me feel better about the fact that you couldn't find the remains. It sounds like an amazing journey. I'm glad you had such a great time! Let me know if Artistic Eliza has any fun ideas for Ruby's room! :)

Arlene said...

Thanks for the re-cap of your latest adventures. We were excited to see the story and photo in the Church News. Your dad saw it first and came upstairs to our bedroom where I was fast asleep (5:30 a.m.), and turned on the bedside lamp to show me. I mumbled something about "cool" and he left me to my slumber. I read the details later! Looks like Michael was right in the middle of the action along with Digger David.

Debbie said...

Sounds like quite the experience! Thanks for sharing. I was excited to see your pictures/story in the Church News too. Great poem Mar!

Unknown said...

What an amazing trip Marilyn. I am so jealous! Really, what a memory maker and testimony builder for your kids. And, I loved the poem.