Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Visit From Cousins



Here goes another attempt at this blog. I tried to do it on-line, but it didn’t work, so I am going to try and copy and paste from this word document. The slower connection really is a valid reason for not doing this more often!


We’ve had a great couple of weeks and thanks to all m y family and friends who still check to see if I have posted anything. We had a wonderful month of May—unusually cool for the south, but perfect summer weather in my book! It was cool in the mornings and evenings and warmed up during the day, but not too hot! I like to be able to work and do things outside without melting.
In May the Hale’s came for a visit. Chad, Camille and their five super fun, cute kids were here for a weekend. (Camille is my cousin—we are a year apart and grew up together with loads of fun memories). They live in Ohio so we are able to get together once in a while. They came down for the BMS Drag Races and the Lions Club Turtle Derby—talk about a contrast. We went from 300 mph to about 300 inches per hour. One of the kids even asked if they’d need earplugs for the turtle races! Those turtle races are one of the “secrets” of Kingsport. It is FREE to go, everyone gets a ticket and if your turtle wins, you get 50 cents. With all the tickets we had, we had a winner at every race. They have all kinds of prizes—Camille had the winning ticket—she won a pizza and a girl’s bike. She gave the bike to Grace—who was thrilled! We ended the day at Carter Fold. The kids danced ‘til they were sweating. It was fun and the kids have a blast together. Thanks for the visit and come back soon!

4 comments:

Arlene said...

Turtle Derby??? What will they think of next. Cousins really are great and a special part of life. I'm glad that you have some close by.

Unknown said...

Marilyn

You have got to splurge for DSL so that you can update us more often...I love every photo and story.

I can't believe Eliza is 12....crazy!

Debbie said...

The turtle derby sounds hilarious! How cool that Camille won the grand prize. Sounds like you're all having fun!!!

Steve and Denise said...

Its great having a new blog from the DeBrys. We were just talking how we need to plan a family trip out there sometime. You always know how to host great get togethers!