Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Christmas Carols, FHE, and Swearing


No better place to learn how to cuss than in Family Home Evening! This is one of those classic stories.

Our Christmas party for church this year has an International theme. There are several people who are bringing food, decor, and sharing Christmas traditions from other countries. We are going to do some German Christmas carols and have been practicing. The kids are all great sports (for the most part) and for FHE we decided to go over the words to the song and try to sing it.

Here are the lyrics:
Still, still, still,
Weil's Kindlein schlafen will.
Die Englein tun schön jubilieren,
Bei dem Kripplein musizieren.
Still, still, still,
Weil's Kindlein schlafen will.


The pronunciation for the "st" is more like an "scht" or "sh" if you can't get all those letters in. Well, we are progressing quite well--David was teaching us how to say the words, we'd repeat, and then eventually sing. We sounded pretty good. Than Michael starts to get confused with the words--(notice there are lots of "scht" sounds. He says, "I don't get this Schitlein stuff" (instead of Kindlein or Kripplein). David and I laughed a bit and went on--until it came up again. "What is this Schitline"--he kept asking and we could not quit laughing. Eliza was the only other one who caught on to his cussing and we were laughing so hard, we couldn't stop. Sweet innocent Michael cussing up a storm about this sweet German Christmas carol.

It was quite the memory. I just hope that we can make it through our performance without losing it.

10 comments:

Arlene said...

Are you sure about "sweet innocent Michael?" Fun story. I loved the picture of little Katherine walking along with him. That is darling.

Debbie said...

HAHAHAHA! There is NO WAY I would be able to get through the performance without laughing. That picture is really cute!

Lorie said...

Going along with that same theme, I can hardly bring myself to say our R.S. President's name... Sonya Schatt. (past tense). I guess that also ties into Debbie's title of "How Old am I?" Anyway, funny blog and cool that you can still speak it.

Debbie said...

Lorie--the lady who owned our house in Rigby before we did had the same last name, and we made all the same jokes as you did, I'm sure!

Steve and Denise said...

That's hilarious. I'm sure my boys would be rolling on the floor with laughter. That sounds like an awesome Christmas party idea. I should suggest that to our activity's person.

The Dreamer said...

What a riot!! I don't think I can watch all of you perform without smiling reeaal big now!

I love that picture of Katherine and Michael too! Boy...your photographer must be good! ;)

Arlene said...

Another "tense" of the "s" word: in doing family history, we have lots of German ancestors with the name "Schaudt"--is that the past PERFECT tense?????

Circe said...

I'm laughing too. Kids are so funny! I feel the same way about the German language...lots of sch sounds! :)

Camille said...

great story! I love it! plus...if you are going to say that word, you might as well say it a lot!

Jennie said...

Marilyn! You have fans! It's been a month and this is not acceptable! By the way, I'm proud of you for not cracking up during your performance of this song and I really enjoyed Kay-Kay's personal contribution.