Tuesday, December 15, 2009

SURVIVAL

Michael is warming himself by the fire (started without matches) after suffering from hypothermia.
The boys send air-to-ground-signals using pretzels.

They help stabilize a broken leg and take their man to shelter.


Parker ascends the tree in search of food.

Parker informed me the other day that I need to up-date the blog. He wanted me to give a report on his birthday party. He was born on Thanksgiving Day and has never really had a party where he invites his friends over--we are usually traveling or we invite some friends over and play games. I had him convinced for years that he had better parties than anyone else! Anyway, he talked me into doing a "real" party--I have to admit it was GREAT! Boys are SO easy to entertain. We did a "Wilderness Survival Party"--using the Boy Scout Merit Badge requirements as our activities. Super easy prep, high entertainment impact, and the cake that "flopped" just looked more realistic. The best part was when we were eating they asked if there were any plates--I said, "No, remember, we are in the wilderness--no plates, cups or silverware--just use your hands to eat and get a drink from the stream (hose). " They were absolutely THRILLED with this primitive way of eating. (And it saved me from going in the house to see if I had any paper products). We also had a tree that we wanted to cut down--to open up the front yard where we planted the fruit trees--we decided to do that before they came and the boys all hauled branches and cleaned up the tree remains to use in their shelter. (Nothing like throwing a party to have everyone do our yard work! They loved it and really got into it.) I'll have to see if Parker wants to write more later.

4 comments:

Steve and Denise said...

That's a great idea Marilyn! Jacob just earned that merit badge. Their scout leader is a registered mountain man, so he showed them which plants are edible, made a fire without matches, and built their own shelter to spend the night in, among other things. Boys love that kind of thing! Glad I'm not a boy. :)

Arlene said...

Sounds like a wonderful boy party! Who would have thought the Boy Scout handbook would provide just the perfect party ideas. Fun times.

Lynette said...

Great Idea!!! Jacob's birthday is in the spring, He and his buddies can move our pruned tree limbs for us! Sounds like fun!

Jennie said...

Thanks so much for inviting us to the blog. Circe told me all about this party. I think it might be a perfect fit for my son Jackson's party this coming summer.