Monday, January 4, 2010

Survival Part 2

Lots of heavy wet snow!
David takes the kids on the 3-wheeler
Trees down in the neighbors yard
Friends cars parked in our yard--they had to walk up the hill to get home.
A while back we had a great storm. The biggest storm in 10 years! VERY heavy, wet snow covered the ground, roads, and trees. The kids loved playing outside and had several snowball fights. We were outside playing in the yard when the neighbors tree broke and snapped the power line...that was pretty scary and we could hear trees craking and snapping all throughout the neighborhood. One of their big tree limbs later fell on their house and punched a hole through the roof and into their bathroom. David put temporary shingles over the hole until the insurance gets it fixed. We lost power--many neighborhoods were without power and water for a few days. It was a good test of preparedness--we did OK, but learned a few things:
#1 I have to know how to do everything and where it all is!
(Since David was stuck on the freeway for 3+ hours--after a friend came his rescue--they were still a long time getting home).
#2 We have lots of stuff packed away for "emergencies" but it is not very accessible or very easy to use.
#3 The kids had a pretty good attitude--I need to work on mine a little!
#4 We had several friends and neighbors that needed help (water, heater/kerosene, wood, warm snow clothes) so it is good to have extra stuff on hand.
Overall, it was great to have snow--it was beautiful and we had some great adventures. I took the kids and some friends sledding at the park and then at the golf course. They had a great time and were exhausted after a few hours. Peter was going non-stop. We could only find one of his snow boots so he wore one cowboy boot. When I helped him get undressed the boot was filled with snow. He must of been having fun because his foot was frozen!




4 comments:

The homestead said...

Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing your tips. I am toast if Gordon is gone during a disaster.

Debbie said...

Yes, I was thinking about all the stuff I need to learn how to do on my own too. I have Kingsport on my iphone weather update thing and have been noticing lots of snow and cold...so I'm glad to see that not only is it accurate, but that you all survived the big storms!

Jennie said...

Wasn't that weird? I don't think I've even been in such a devastating snow storm. All the trees broke! I felt the same way you did about the emergency stuff. We had it, but couldn't get to it or didn't want to use it (stored water just isn't appealing to bathe in). I'm sure we would have if we were without water for a few more days...but glad we didn't have to!

Arlene said...

Wow--it looks like you had more snow than we do! I'm glad you didn't have to miss out on your winter sports this season since you couldn't make it to Idaho. Glad you were all safe and able to have some fun in spite of the challenges.