Monday, September 13, 2010

The One Shoe Theory

Throughout the years, David and I have come up with several theories. The “One Shoe Theory” is one of mine specifically for Moms with young children.

Usually at our house it is hard, if not impossible to find two matching shoes, especially if they are smaller than size 4. The basic idea behind the theory is that if you can only find one shoe (or sock for that matter) just put it on. When you are out in public—really the only time you need shoes anyway and even that can be argued, it may seem strange to only be wearing one shoe. You wouldn’t believe how many nice folks point out that you have “lost a shoe” somewhere along the line. Little do they know that the other one is in the black hole of no return. Anyway, this keeps them from thinking or commenting on how you should keep your babies feet covered and what kind of a lame Mom would take their children out without proper foot wear.

Try it sometime. You will be amazed at how many people notice and helpfully point out that you have lost a shoe. It’s a good way to meet people—especially in the South. It doesn’t work so well with 8 year olds though.

3 comments:

Circe said...

Yes, I have done that numerous times. I do feel a bit dishonest when I act surprised that one shoe is missing, but when I explain how we only started out with one, people look at me weird! BTW, love your dreams! :)

The homestead said...

I thought you always had a car full of shoes and the kids just found a pair of shoes closest to their size when you got somewhere. I'll have to try that sometime. My secret is with stained clothes. I just pretend the stain happened that day.

Arlene said...

I like that idea of keeping shoes in the car--make the kids take them off before going into the house.