Sunday, January 30, 2011

Report #1 from Europe

Hi Kids, Dad here.
I know others read this blog but I wanted to write some special blogs to you so you don't miss me while I am in Europe. Marilyn, I hope this doesn't make you miss it too much. Everything went well getting here in Rotterdam and I have enjoyed seeing some of the things I haven't seen before (see pictures below). It has been very cold, about low 20's with the wind chill, but everyone is still riding their bikes. I bought a two-day pass for the public transportation so I have enjoyed getting around.

I went to church this morning in the Rotterdam Zuid (south) Ward where Mom was a missionary. Some of the members remembered her, including the Zwekhallen girl who Mom taught and was baptized. She is now married and has two kids. She spoke today and I could hardly understand her. However, one of the Senior missionaries, Elder Anderson, taught SS and I could understand him perfectly because he is from Utah (he was on his mission from 63-65 but didn't know Opa).

Saturday:

View from the Delft train station. Look at all the bikes. The guy in the picture took forever to find his bike,and still hadn't found it when I left. The church in the background is the Old Church, and some of our ancestors went there. I love going to Delft (2nd time)

Old Church in Delft. I love the duck in the canal.

I think this is a Fiat. It is really that small.


Stained glass window in Old Church - Delft


Inside the Old Church in Delft. Amazing how tall the ceilings are


New Church in Delft on the town square.


Eliza, these signs are everywhere at the train stations.
Sunday:

SS Rotterdam. Now a retired ship...hotel, museum, and has restaurants. Opa saw this when he was on his mission 40 years ago when it was brand new. It was free to walk around so I figured it was a good Sunday activity.

I get sick of spending a lot of money and eating out ($30 for breakfast here at the hotel), even though the company pays for it, so I went to Albert Heijn grocery today and bought some stuff. I already ate the orange and one chocolate hazelnut bar. I had to shoo a pigeon out of the store. I know it is Sunday, but I had to eat something and this was better than going to a restaurant.
I bought: Muesli, Milk, Apple juice, an orange, Stroopwafel, Liverwurst, Bread, Meat, Cheese, chocolate, and yoghurt. All for about the same price as one breakfast. I also got some Pomme Fritas (french fries) at a stand. The market area was packed with people.
View from my hotel room.



My hotel room.

3 comments:

Rita DeBry said...

What great pictures David! Thank you for telling us about them.
Love,Mom

Marilyn said...

Looks like a fun adventure. I read it to the kids and William wants some yogurt! We also loved the picture of all of the bikes.

Julia said...

I love you David, I am so proud to be your sister. Neat post.