Michael DeBry
Birthday Boy! February 5, 2008
Michael turned eight years old today. What a fun person. He has sure given us some great laughs throughout the years. We’re glad to have him in our family. We love you, Michael.
The other day Michael gave me a big hug and was snuggling up to me. He said that one thing he loved about me was the way that I smell. (What a relief that it’s a good smell.) Of course, I asked what I smelled like. His reply was, “You smell like your Mom—she smells like a “Country Girl”—I’m glad that you are going to visit her, so that when you come back, you will smell even more like her!” (This is just one of the many reasons why Michael just melts your heart).
Here is another good laugh. About three months ago, Michael came home with an official paper from school saying that he had failed his “vision screening”. I didn’t think much of it, because I figured he had just faked the test, thinking it would result in him getting some highly sought after glasses. He was Harry Potter for Halloween and was very disappointed that he did not get real glasses to go with his costume. I guess this failed vision test was one more attempt to procure himself some attention getting eyewear. I just filed the paper in the trash can and didn’t think anything of it, until about a month later, I got another official form, this time with highlighted threats that I really needed to get him to a specialist! I finally decided that I’d better get it taken care of. I made an appointment at the eye doctor, all along KNOWING that I was right, but thinking I would feel really bad if he went through his whole adolescence without glasses that he really needed.
The day finally came. I took Michael to the doctor. Parker and Katherine were also with me. What an adventure. He CLEARLY faked his way through several different sizes of letters! The huge “E” even appeared “blurry”. Michael would squint and make a guess at the various letters with the only consistency being that he was wrong on every letter. Parker even looked up at me with a look that seemed to say, “I can’t believe he is doing this—HOW EMBARASSING!” I had written on the information for the doctor that Michael really wanted glasses as he was going through a Harry Potter phase and that I didn’t think he really needed them. He doctor was very helpful and nice and didn’t say anything to Michael, even though it was evident what his little patient was up to. The doctor dilated his eyes for some further tests that confirmed my every suspicion. The consulation prize for Michael was the disposable pair of “sunglasses” that he got to wear home and for the next 24-hours until his eyes were back to normal. He even got to wear them to Cub Scouts and got the needed attention his was looking for. What a guy. He sure keeps us laughing.
Just last week, I got another “highlighted” notice from the school. They still hadn’t heard from me about the progress with Michael’s “situation”. I had taken care of the appointment, and had just put it out of my mind. Well, the next step that they were going to take was to make the appointment for him and send DCS (Department of Child Services) to my house!! EEK! Good thing I got it taken care of! What a mess. They had also sent all kinds of forms for financial help for those who fall in the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Add a few children to our household and we are pretty close to meeting those levels and being eligible for government help! Anyway, that is the excitement around here!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! MICHAEL—8 YEARS OLD! We are so happy that you keep things lively at our house!
Birthday Boy! February 5, 2008
Michael turned eight years old today. What a fun person. He has sure given us some great laughs throughout the years. We’re glad to have him in our family. We love you, Michael.
The other day Michael gave me a big hug and was snuggling up to me. He said that one thing he loved about me was the way that I smell. (What a relief that it’s a good smell.) Of course, I asked what I smelled like. His reply was, “You smell like your Mom—she smells like a “Country Girl”—I’m glad that you are going to visit her, so that when you come back, you will smell even more like her!” (This is just one of the many reasons why Michael just melts your heart).
Here is another good laugh. About three months ago, Michael came home with an official paper from school saying that he had failed his “vision screening”. I didn’t think much of it, because I figured he had just faked the test, thinking it would result in him getting some highly sought after glasses. He was Harry Potter for Halloween and was very disappointed that he did not get real glasses to go with his costume. I guess this failed vision test was one more attempt to procure himself some attention getting eyewear. I just filed the paper in the trash can and didn’t think anything of it, until about a month later, I got another official form, this time with highlighted threats that I really needed to get him to a specialist! I finally decided that I’d better get it taken care of. I made an appointment at the eye doctor, all along KNOWING that I was right, but thinking I would feel really bad if he went through his whole adolescence without glasses that he really needed.
The day finally came. I took Michael to the doctor. Parker and Katherine were also with me. What an adventure. He CLEARLY faked his way through several different sizes of letters! The huge “E” even appeared “blurry”. Michael would squint and make a guess at the various letters with the only consistency being that he was wrong on every letter. Parker even looked up at me with a look that seemed to say, “I can’t believe he is doing this—HOW EMBARASSING!” I had written on the information for the doctor that Michael really wanted glasses as he was going through a Harry Potter phase and that I didn’t think he really needed them. He doctor was very helpful and nice and didn’t say anything to Michael, even though it was evident what his little patient was up to. The doctor dilated his eyes for some further tests that confirmed my every suspicion. The consulation prize for Michael was the disposable pair of “sunglasses” that he got to wear home and for the next 24-hours until his eyes were back to normal. He even got to wear them to Cub Scouts and got the needed attention his was looking for. What a guy. He sure keeps us laughing.
Just last week, I got another “highlighted” notice from the school. They still hadn’t heard from me about the progress with Michael’s “situation”. I had taken care of the appointment, and had just put it out of my mind. Well, the next step that they were going to take was to make the appointment for him and send DCS (Department of Child Services) to my house!! EEK! Good thing I got it taken care of! What a mess. They had also sent all kinds of forms for financial help for those who fall in the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Add a few children to our household and we are pretty close to meeting those levels and being eligible for government help! Anyway, that is the excitement around here!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! MICHAEL—8 YEARS OLD! We are so happy that you keep things lively at our house!
3 comments:
Oh my heck what a little character. You had me laughing out loud with Michael's antics. I loved hearing those stories. Especially how you smell like mom, like a 'country girl!' That is too adorable. Thanks for the great post! And Happy Birthday Michael!!!
I'm a little nervous about that "country girl" smell. Hope I don't disappoint him when we come to visit next week. I'll sure be glad to get out of this frozen waste land for a few days! Just hope we don't get tornadoed instead.
I have been sharing the "glasses" story with all of my friends. It is so funny! I find myself chuckling about it during the day. You have quite a kid on your hands! And you're a great writer, Marilyn!
Post a Comment