OK, we are now starting to harvest the works of our labors. The “June” apple tree is loaded with apples. We’ve picked, processed, and preserved about 180 quarts. (And several batches of “apple leather” that I scrape off of the stove, floor and various other surfaces after we are done!) There are three other ladies and several kids—it has been quite the adventure. The first day we did over 140 quarts—we did not realize what we were getting into. The next week, we did about 40 quarts and that was a much better experience. It is TONS of work, but it tastes great and is definitely worth the effort. The kids have been pretty good to help. We have is set up outside, so the kids are in and out of the pool, and we just spend the whole day together. After picking, we wash and quarter the apples, cutting out any bad spots—the apples are pretty nice—a little on the small side, but not wormy. We then cook the apples, and put them through a strainer. The kids love to use the Victorio Strainer which is a must—it separates, the seeds, skins, stems and leaves a nice warm sauce. We add some sugar—these apples were still a bit sour. We then bottle or freeze it. And then I spend about two hours trying to clean and wipe up apple crud that is virtually on every appliance, pot, pan, spoon, bowl, and cup that I have.
Then we get to enjoy it for the year to come! Hopefully, we won't be sick of it before it is gone!
6 comments:
YUM! I just LOVE homemade applesauce. But I don't think I could handle all the work involved. Good for you guys to make it into a big, fun project for all the kids. Cute pictures too!
Awesome!! We made applesauce last fall and the kids can eat a whole quart in one sitting. To get them used to "homemade" applesauce, I hid treats inside and that worked great. What a great idea to get a lot of people working together. Isn't it great to see all those finished jars on the shelf?! Way to go, Mar.
That's great you got the whole family involved in your applesauce adventures. My mom and I make it each fall together. I love the smell of the apples cooking in the house. It just reminds me of the fall holidays. I love the picture of Grace. She really is looking a lot older. Can't wait to see you all soon!
You know how to make WORK fun for all! I loved the photo of the blue tub full of green apples--very ap-pealing.
We've got apples. I need to do something with them. I may be calling you. I am so impressed.
You are inspiring! And happy b-day to Grace!
Post a Comment