Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How Firm a Foundation




I've been experimenting with different bread recipes and have had some real FLOPS! The other day I made some bricks that would be great for a solid foundation in the food guide pyramid! My kids are sure good to put up with all of my experimenting. I try lots of new recipes and sometimes they are not too tasty. The other day I had a craving for a dessert and the recipe called for graham crackers--we didn't have any, and I would have ran to the store, but our van was in the shop--so I made some! They weren't too bad and worked great in the recipe--but to eat them plain was a different story. Peter took a few bites and said, "They're just a little yuck!" I guess that is a step up from A LOT yuck. A while back, Eliza suggested that I "save this for the 2nd coming". Another meal that wasn't too satisfying.

Well, the other day, I went to visit my friend, Faye--she is the master bread maker, I shared my woes and she shared her tips and recipe. I went home and made a WONDERFUL batch of bread. Here is the simple, foolproof (or at least Marilyn proof) recipe:

Great Bread
5 cups hot water
1 1/4 cups oil
3/4 cup honey
2 1/2 T. yeast
12-13 cups flour
5 tsp. salt

Combine water, oil, and honey. Add 8 cups of the flour (I used about 10 cups whole wheat flour and the rest white), yeast, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Add the remaining flour and mix until smooth and elastic. (I mixed mine for 10 minutes on the lowest speed). Let rest for about 10 minutes, shape into 5 loaves. Let rise until double. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

The bread was great. Come over and I'll cut you a big, thick slice!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Wish I could come by and try a slice! :( I could use some good Marilyn-proof recipes! I struggle to get things to turn out right--then again I don't practice very often, so what can I expect? It was fun talking to you yesterday. Good luck with your final countdown. I hope it FLIES by!!!!!

Arlene said...

I've never had anything you fixed that wasn't delicious! Can't wait to come visit you. I tried a new cake recipe that I really liked--actually I made it up. I blended a can of peaches along with 3 eggs and some cinnamon and nutmeg--just a few shakes (a bit more cinnamon than nutmeg). Then poured that in the yellow cake mix and added enough water to make the consistency right. It tastes kind of like peach cobler. I had some frozen peaches in the freezer (my mom's idea from her sister: freeze the peaches whole when they are ripe and fresh; thaw in microwave for about 1 minute; skin peels off easily; remove pit). I mashed up the peach and strained off the juice. I added powdered sugar to that to make a thin glaze which I poured and spread over the cake. Serve warm with whipped cream. It was YUMMY!

Arlene said...

P.S. Loved the way you liked up the bread bricks for their photo!

Alice Faye said...

I'm so glad the bread turned out. Now I am going to try the cake recipe. It looks so good. I hate putting peaches up so I will definitely try freezing them.

Camille said...

Good job on the bread. I'm going to try the recipe....I'll get back with you and let you know how it goes!

The homestead said...

I have almost this same recipe and it's always been a no-fail recipe for me. My kids love it.

Lorie said...

Thanks, Mar... I love trying new bread recipes. I get stuck with the same one over and over. If I try to add a bit of whole wheat, I catch flack from the family. I bought some SPELT (like wheat) so I am excited to try that. I've never heard of graham crackers in bread before?!