Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What a Night

Well, I crawled into bed last night exhausted. It was 9:30 and I feel asleep fast. I barely stirred when David came in later to come to bed. After a few hours of sweet dreams, it came to an abrupt halt with a cry from the girls room. Katherine was awake--David, the knight in shining armor got up and put her back to sleep. We settle back in and around 1AM--Michael is "worshipping the porcelain God". He's been sick for a few days and has another bout of sickness--this time from both ends. Katherine wakes up again and ends up in bed with us. Pretty much I feed her all night or she has her feet in my back.

As I am trying to invite a visit from Mr. Sandman, we hear another cry from the girls' room-- Grace walks into our room--"get to the toilet, get in the bathroom", we yell. Katherine is awake again. It's too late--Grace didn't make it. Her bed has been contaminated! Why can't they just vomit on one thing--like the blanket--no they get the sheets, pillows, mattress, blankets, floor and various stuffed animals as well as the side of the bunk bed. I take the clean-up duty. She ends up in our room on the floor. Next, is Peter, with the "lip-smacking" warning that he is going to join the ranks. This is his third night and he is already crying that he doesn't want it to go in his nose. David takes care of him--as I try to get KK back to sleep. Now Peter is on the floor, too. I am trying to fall asleep and am constantly shocked into alert mode whenever the kids roll, move, groan, or smack their lips!! What a night--this of course is spread out from 1-about 5AM!

Someone tell me why they always throw-up in the middle of the night!?

We got about an hour of sleep before it was time to start the day over again--I was just relieved that it was morning. So as Laura's blog says, "Who will barf tonight?"

Peter keeps calling it "barking". He doesn't like to be sick and bark up his nose.

PS. Be glad that there is not a picture for this post. I almost took one of Michael yesterday. He fell asleep resting his head on the toilet seat--gross, I know. I guess I need to get decontaminating this place.

8 comments:

Arlene said...

Family upchucking! Brings back tons of memories from my past years of raising kids. Debbie spent a lot of nights on the floor in our bedroom with the barf bowl close by. Chris finally inherited the infamous bowl and uses it as a watering dish for her dogs! That Tupperware never wears out . . .
I vowed I'd never have shag carpet in my house again after the years I spent trying to clean vomit out of it in the old Holland house. Then there was the time Blaine upchucked from the top bunk and it was running down the walls. Or Marilyn running down the stairs toward the mid-level bathroom and leaving a trail as she went. I think some of those stains are still visible. Poor Michael falling asleep at the toilet--that is a very sad picture. Hang in there, Marilyn--how on earth did you keep from joining the barfing ranks that night?????

Circe said...

How did Laura's kids contaminate your from all the way across the country?! I'd better stop reading your blogs, or my kids might start throwing up, too! Like Paul Riser said, the main thing that changes when you have kids is moisture level. That includes ALL types of "moisture!" Good luck!

Alice Faye said...

OH, do I feel for you. I can remember one time that not only was all my family sick but all the Boyers and all the Hawks who live on the other side of us. Linda Hawk and I were the only ones who weren't sick. It was a Sunday too. Out of pity for all three households, I went to the store to stock up on popcycles and sprite. Fortunately it was just a 24 hour thing and I never got sick.
Hang in there.

Debbie said...

ugh, that sounds just horrible!!! I think stuff like that should earn you a free ride into heaven.

Steve and Denise said...

It sounds like an episode of the Jon & Kate plus 8 tv show--I remember they ended up having the kids sleep in the laundry room on the floor with a blanket and bowl. As our kids have gotten older we get less of that--except, without fail, when we return from a trip, someone is up in the night throwing up. I hope everyone gets feeling better soon and it doesn't pass to you!

The homestead said...

Sorry we passed it on to you! We hope you are all feeling better soon.

Lorie said...

I agree, why does the puke have to spread to everything in their room? We are always just hoping that it is on one blanket but it never is.... then the smell... you forgot to describe the acidic aroma of fresh throw-up. YUM! I also agree... it seems like 90% of the time, they throw-up at night! Go figure?

Unknown said...

Yeah, thanks for not including the photo.

i am with you...why...why why do they always get sick in the middle of the night...or is it just that those episodes seem to be magnified 500%?

I cannot tell you how many times i have told my kids...in the blanket, in the blanket...if there is no garbage can around, puke in the blanket....this is especially important in the car.

Yuck...I think I caught your bug through the internet...i am feeling sick.

Oh, it's just because it's 12:35 a.m. and I am trying to steal away my coveted blogging time that i have not had any time for.