Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Oatmeal Fudge Bars

This is one of those cravings that I give into often—really any type of dessert. This is a definite WINNER! It is from the Lion House Cookbook:

Oatmeal Fudge Bars
1 cup margarine
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups quick-cooking oats
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup margarine
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopping walnuts (optional)

Grease 9x 13 baking pan (I used a slightly bigger pan and they turned out great); set aside. In large mixer bowl, cream margarine and brown sugar; add eggs and vanilla. In small bowl, sift flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Mix in oats. In heavy saucepan mix sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, and margarine; heat just until melted. Stir in vanilla and nuts. Spread two-thirds of the dough into prepared baking pan. Spread with chocolate mixture. Drop remaining one-third of dough on top by spoonfuls. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool, then cut into bars. Makes 36. Share with family and then create your own private stash that will get you through the next few days!

These remind me of “Fudge Jumbles”—a boxed brownie mix that I remember my Mom made often when we were younger.

3 comments:

Arlene said...

Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try them.

Alice Faye said...

Will you call me the next time you get this craving. I will bring the ingredients, help you make them, eat one, then go home. If I don't stop eating all these goodies, I will look like I'M 12 months pregnant. Oh wait, I think I've been there already.

Lynette said...

Oh Marilyn...how I've missed you. I love your recipes, your comments really make the difference. Nice to have a big smile while reading the recipe. The other day I found your recipes for Ice Water and Toast that you gave to me at my bridal shower. Mariah and I got a big laugh out of them!