Monday, March 16, 2009

The Perks of Being Pregnant

A few weeks ago someone asked how long I had left, I told them that I had 1 month ‘til the baby was due. “Oh, that’s not very long!” was the reply. Yah, well if you aren’t the one carrying a baby inside of you, it isn’t very long, but try constant pain and daily emotional breakdowns and 1 month is an eternity!
I decided to think about some of the perks of being pregnant. (David helped me with this list—and I purposely left some out to save us both from embarrassment!)

Anyway, here goes—in random order:
1. Your husband allows you to wear earplugs at night.
2. You can give into any craving you want.
3. Another $1000 in your tax return next year (like that makes it all worth it J)
4. You can’t tell if your pants are too short.
5. No one else in East TN is pregnant (except other Mormon women), so everyone dotes on you and calls you sweetheart.
6. You will lose 20 lbs. within 9 months
7. No one dares cross a pregnant woman (Can you tell that David wrote this one?)
8. The pregnancy “GLOW”—just a glorified term for the grease mark on your forehead because you haven’t had a shower in a few days—you have to conserve your energy for more important things.
9. The “Expectant Mother” parking spot—not worth it! I’ve used them maybe once or twice and anyone who is pregnant and takes kids shopping knows it is better to park by the shopping cart return anyway!
10. You can use being pregnant and not feeling well to get out of lots of obligations! (I just did that yesterday!—and didn’t even feel guilty) An added perk for the kids is WAY more movies during the day!
11. AND, the best thing about being pregnant is the sweet little baby that we will welcome into our family when the 9 months of agony is over!! I am super excited about having another baby. I absolutely LOVE the newborn stage. It just seems so far away.

4 comments:

The homestead said...

A few more perks- when you look in the mirror you don't think 'do I look fat in this?' because you really don't care. You have a baby that you always know exactly where it is- at all times. You're so great- hang in there. Your pregnancy has gone really quite fast for me. Ha ha!

Marilyn said...

Laura, You're so funny. I'm glad that it has gone fast for you!

Arlene said...

I'm sure your pregnancy went way faster than any of mine did! Guess we all feel that way. It's a bigger sacrafice in many ways to bring #7 into the world than it was #1. Old bodies . . . just think about Abraham's Sarah--and she had to live in a tent! I loved reading your list--you hit most of the perks. Most of the time when we suffer aches and pains, etc., we just have to endure the misery or go through tests and surgeries or whatever to get feeling better. With pregnancy we know there is something pretty wonderful waiting at the end of our pain and it makes it all worth it!

Debbie said...

Marilyn this was a great list. I love that everyone in Tennessee calls you sweetheart! That is pretty cute. I love #10. I definitely take advantage of that perk. In fact, I was telling Aaron it would be worth it to have twins JUST so I could be released from my new calling!! HA! I don't know if just one baby would get me out of it or not, because the former primary pres. had a baby and just kept right on truckin! Wish I could give you a fast-forward button or something.....the last weeks are the worst.:(