Thursday, May 23, 2013

Tour de Temple

We are so lucky to live "close" to so many temples.  OK, I know that close is a relative term, but we have had some great trips this year.  Our temple, Columbia SC is just under four hours.  Here are some of our memories.
     SLC Temple--the night after they took the lights down--the place was a ghost town.  I have never been there with so few people.  We stopped on our way home to TN.  I took the older kids to do baptisms and David took the littles to look around.  Most memorable event was Parker ripping his Sunday pants to shreds after the temple.  His already too small pants had lost a button, he was sick and pretty miserable.  He said that his choices were to stay in the van in the freezing cold, walk around Temple Square in the freezing cold or go to the temple.  I guess he wanted to be warm.  We also ate at the cafeteria--always a treat.
     Kansas City Temple-- also on the way home.  Quiet day and a nice experience.  David did baptisms with the kids.  I also went in and looked around and did some initiatories.  The temple is beautiful--is has the same lay-out and general feel as the Brigham City Temple.
     Orlando, Florida--David traveled their for work.  He said the grounds and location were amazing.
     St. Louis, Missouri--Another travel trip for David--Eastman just bought a company that is just minutes from the temple--he been their a few times for work.
     Columbia, SC--Eliza, Parker, and Michael--youth temple trip.  They drove down with their friends and all reported that it is much more fun to go with their friends than us!!
     Nashville, TN--David had some church training, so me and the littles joined him.  We stayed at our favorite La Quinta, swam, temple, and Ed Venture Museum.  The memorable part of that was me taking the little ones to the museum and getting asked if I was single, along with a friendly fellow's business card--awkward!  We would still have yet another encounter--on the way out I was dragging KK  from the gift shop (major fit wanting something), William was running through the parking lot headed for a busy street, Grace was carrying Clark and Peter was trying to catch up to William--the friendly fellow cut William off before he headed to the street--and of course that sent William into hysterics. He helped me corral them all to the van.  After this heroic effort he invited us to the library!?  Oh, and somewhere in all of this mess, Clark threw up and his extra clothes got left at the hotel--never to be seen again.  David's training with Elder Oaks was very up-lifting and spiritual. :)
     Columbia, SC--Good Friday Stake Temple Day.  David had work off, so we went to stay with great friend April.  Great bed and breakfast.  Easter egg hunt with empty eggs--fun without too much crying.  A yummy picnic, thanks to April and beautiful spring weather.

Looking forward to some more temple trips across the world.
What are some of your favorite temple memories?  Where have you traveled?  Where will you go--are you visiting any new temples?
    





4 comments:

Ben and Athena said...

First comment! :) Loved this post. It's so fun to get to experience how the temples look different but feel the same. Love to see the pictures of your family in the sidebar too. And of course you got hit on by a single guy! You're so cute Marilyn that he hit on you with 5 crazy kids... and that's saying something :)

Circe said...

Wow! A new post! But you didn't mention anything I REALLY wanted to hear about! ;) What about the D.C. temple? Not too far, is it?

Steve and Denise said...

Sounds like fun adventures. I love going to the temple too. My most adventurous one was the Bern, Switzerland temple where we were greeted in French at the front door, then greeted in German at the clothing rental, and then went through a session in Italian. I want to take a temple road trip one of these days.

The homestead said...

I have a friend that keeps a photo book that contains a picture of their family at each of the temples they have been to. Love to hear your stories.