I am a morning person and have recently rediscovered how good I feel when I get up early. When I was living at home I had a permanent note made that I would leave on the bathroom mirror for my Dad--it said, "Get me up at 5:45 AM". I used this in Junior High and through High School. I'd get up and study, jog (it used to be called "jogging" now it is "running"), or just enjoy the quite mornings. I remember when I was probably 14 or 15 that Halley's comet made a pass close to earth and that you could see it. I was fascinated with the night sky and convinced myself that I saw it several times on my solo morning jaunts. In high school we often practiced basketball before school so we got up early for that. It never bothered me, in fact, I liked getting it out of the way. In college I signed up for early classes and loved to get on campus before the sun came up to study. Night owl roommates did hamper this on occasion. (If I had only known about the benefits of ear plugs back then.) Things changed when we got married. David stayed up later, so then I did too. We'd even watch the news--before I could rarely stay up 'til the news came on, because I was ready for bed. Then the kids came with that many sleepless nights--I just felt like I was barely scraping by--I still feel like that sometimes now. When the new school year started, Eliza had Seminary at 6AM--so she and David would get up at 5AM and then he would drop her off on his way to work. I generally get up and get moving just before they leave the house. It is SO quite, calm and peaceful. I love sitting in the quiet house. I can hear the fridge running. I have about 30-45 minutes of solitude. This personal time has made a huge difference in my day. It is sometimes the ONLY time that I get for myself and I relish it.
The only draw-back is at 8PM, I totally lose it. Everyone has to be in bed or it gets UGLY.
2 comments:
You are your Dad's daughter! I remember your notes on the mirror . . . and that you never asked your Mom to wake you up early! I had a talk with Peter a few weeks ago and asked him if he couldn't be a bit quieter when he leaves in the mornings--and not turn on all the lights when he gets up. He's been great . . . and I am happier enjoying an extra hour or two of sleep after he goes to work. It would be nice to be on the same schedule, but it's never worked for us all these 40+ years!
I always feel better when I get up early too, but it is sooo hard in the winter, when it doesn't get light until 9. So I usually stay in bed as long as the kids will let me.
Post a Comment